Do you love being the one people can rely on when they want results?
Do you love reading the news, scrolling Twitter, and talking about current events?
When you watch a movie, are you the friend who's researching where you've seen the actors before?
If this sounds like you, we've got your perfect career.
This is the right fit for someone interested in PR, marketing, and book publishing. We’re looking for someone investigative and independent, who LOVES research projects, creative brainstorming, executing on media strategies, and who doesn't want to have to run errands at an agency in exchange for learning the ropes.
You’ll help us execute successful marketing plans for our Author’s books by being placed into one speciality area of our marketing process: Strategy, Research, Outreach, Media, or Audience.
Depending on your placement, you’ll work closely with our Author Marketing Managers to either implement a project strategy, execute on a social media strategy, or secure media attention – just to name a few. All of these specialities play a critical role in bringing our Author’s ideas to the world.
The roles basically break down like this:
- You'll help create and run promotional opportunities for Authors based on their specific and unique marketing goals.
- You’ll be responsible for researching appropriate media contacts for each Author project, writing kickass pitches to pique media interest, and coordinating the media opportunities you secure directly with Authors.
- You’ll experience an equal mix of independent work time where you’re responsible for proactively managing your own tasks, and collaborative time with Scribe’s whole Impact team.
Your skills and problem solving powers will help drive the kinds of results our Authors sign up for.
This is NOT for someone who wants to execute the same cookie-cutter service over and over. This role is for a motivated person looking for an incredible opportunity to use their drive to learn invaluable skills and advance quickly.
If that describes you, come get it.
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book.
The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possible can do it.
We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional).
And if you can't afford our services, that's fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it's called Scribe Book School, and it's better than any paid course on the internet.
You can see some press about us here.
And you can see some of the books we've already published here.
Why our work matters
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people--smart people who should write a book, but don’t, because the process is so painful.
These people want to write books, but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that's why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world.
Our process has worked for over 2,000 authors in seven years, and we’re growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book.
If we do that, we'll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That's really exciting to us.
To see what we mean, here are some author success stories and videos of authors talking about what their books mean to them, and to their readers.
But if you really want to see why we do this...just watch this video of an author we worked with, Philip McKernan.
What's it like being part of the Scribe Tribe?
We're not going to try to pitch you a load of corporate doublespeak bullshit about how great we are. Instead, we’ll just show you proof.
These are all real tribe members, speaking openly and honestly about all aspects of what it's like to be part of this tribe:
The 5 Things Applicants Need to Know
Who Should Not Work At Scribe?
What’s It Like To Work At Scribe?
You can see a bunch more videos here, on our YouTube Channel.
This is the operating system for our tribe: The Scribe Culture Bible.
We are consistently ranked the #1 Best Place To Work in Austin.
Also, Entrepreneur Magazine said we have the #1 company culture in America.
And, our President and CEO was named the #1 CEO in Austin this year.
You In? Awesome, here's the details:
Type of Employment
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this career.
- A Broad Understanding of the Digital Marketing Landscape: This position is for entry to manager-level marketing professionals who have some experience working at a marketing agency, or in-house (industry does not matter). You want to learn how to actually produce scalable data-driven marketing campaigns and have a desire to understand the entire marketing ecosystem and how to influence consumer behavior that actually—wait for it—drives RESULTS.
- You Are Organized, Task-Oriented, and a Problem Solver: This is not a role for someone that is sloppy with details and we expect you to be self-sufficient. You are an expert at juggling multiple projects at once, and you're able to get things done and keep up with your projects.
- Strategic and Critical Thinking: Ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, embrace the unknown, and adapt to a quickly changing environment without losing the thread on project goals. If a media pitch is not getting the results you wanted, you take it upon yourself to go back to your research and start over. You set clear expectations for yourself and you can easily assess and pivot to meet those expectations.
- Courageously and Warmly Curious: You deeply enjoy getting to know more about people! When you’re getting to know someone you’re warm, inviting, and make the other person feel comfortable just by being in your presence. You want to know how everything works. You’re not afraid to challenge the status quo. And when you’re learning a new skill, you aren’t afraid to ask questions to really know it and get it right the first time.
- Excellent Communicator: You are masterful at summarizing complex topics, both in speaking and writing. You are engaging and clear when communicating, are energized by fielding unexpected questions, and are proactive in sharing updates.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Pay: $60,000
- Full Benefits Package: We don’t spend our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs. We spend our money on things that matter to our tribe--like a full slate of benefits that would rival any Fortune 50 company.
- We fully cover your medical, dental, and vision insurance—starting on day 1.
- We offer up to $1,500 in educational assistance to continue your learning.
- We have six weeks of paid time off, including holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
- If anything awful were to happen to you, we provide life insurance and short- and long-term disability.
- 401k match to support you in planning for your future.
- Free Book Benefit: Take part in Scribe’s Guided Author from Day-1. Scribe’s Free Book Benefit can be used once every 18 months for Scribe Publishing or Guided Author, and every 36 months for Scribe Editing. You’ll also have free access to the entire Scribe library.
- Each Tribe member gets four fully paid community service days per year. These days can be used to volunteer alongside Tribe members at coordinated community events or to individually support causes you care about in your local community.
- We believe that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion has no finish line. We hold optional discussions throughout the month led by volunteer Tribe members with the goal to provide a safe space for asking questions, openly sharing, and encouraging learning.
- Any Tribe member who gives birth receives 12 weeks of fully paid time off. Partners of birthing parents, or those involved in adoptions, foster placements, or birth through a surrogate, receive 4 weeks of paid leave.
- Up to 10 days of fully-paid, no questions asked Bereavement leave. You define what 'loved one' means to you: be it a parent, a cousin, a best friend, or even a beloved pet.
- MacBooks are provided to all full time Tribe members for Scribe work and personal use.
- We're supportive of Tribe members working to create the lives they imagine! Freedom to do other work on the side is encouraged, as long as the work doesn't compete with or negatively impact Scribe's business.
- As a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) host, we partner with an organization that supports refugee families through a community garden here in Austin. You can sign up with us to get local, in-season produce delivered weekly straight to the office!
- We have Work with Your Dog Wednesdays! AKA: Woofdays!
- Plus, we eat a free catered lunch together in the office on Fridays!
- Be Part Of A Tribe: You (should) have seen the videos above. We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
- Freedom & Flex Work: You can work from your home anywhere in the US, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours--we don't care. You can wear a three piece suit (like our CEO), gym clothes, or anything else--we don't care. We only care that you drive results, uphold our values, and perform in your role with reliable phone and internet connections. And we have lots of paid time off each year, because we believe that rest and recovery are just as important as work.
- Make A Real Impact: We’re a small tribe (just about 100 full time) and you will be a major part of our team. Not only that, you won't just impact the company, you'll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think--and you'll be helping to make them a reality.
- Work With Interesting People: You're not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books that change lives.
- Want to see more? Check out the Scribe Careers page of our website.
Ready to apply?
Complete the application by clicking on the 'Apply To Position' button. Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
You can expect to hear back from us either way within 15 business days. Be sure to keep an eye on your spam and promotions boxes in case our emails end up there! To make sure we're able to give your application the careful attention and time it deserves, please do not follow up with us unless you don't hear back from us by then.
Please, no phone calls. Due to the number of applicants we typically receive for our career openings, we are not able to do phone interviews until later stages of the hiring process. All applicants must submit an application through our portal.
Note: If you're on an external job site, we encourage you to apply directly from our career portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/
We're only considering candidates located in the United States, and that are authorized to work in the United States. We will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Bonus: If you aren't right for this career, but you know the perfect person, send them this career description.
If we hire them, we'll give you a $2,000 bonus.
Totally serious--every person we hire, we ask them who referred them to us, and we pay the bonus to the referrer. That could be you if you share this career ad with a friend who's perfect for it.