Director of Finance
Do you feel like you’re able to predict the future when you look at a company’s financials, and often find yourself doing this for fun?
Do you deeply love numbers, finance, accounting, business, and mentoring others in these areas?
Are you looking for a unique opportunity to lead and scale the Finance Department of a profitable start up (6 years old) as we expand to multiple lines of business?
If this sounds like you, we've got your perfect career.
The Director of Finance will lead and grow our Finance Department while working directly with our CEO and Executive Team to cover all aspects of traditional FP&A functions in a quickly scaling, profitable, and fully boot-strapped company.
You will have a front-row seat and significant impact as we begin exploring acquisitions, expand to multiple lines of business, and grow to $100MM+ in revenue.
Key responsibilities include:
- Serves as the Direct Support for all Tribe Members in the Finance Department, and ensures efficiency, effectiveness, and accountability for all initiatives and responsibilities throughout the department.
- Leads our company in recognizing where actions or decisions need to be made and where all areas of the company can be more efficient and effective based on financial information and analysis.
- Leads financial modeling for existing and new lines of business (build, buy, partner, invest), supports with M&A and advises the CEO and Executive Team.
- Manages monthly, quarterly, and year-end activities, forecasts, and financial reporting for multiple lines of business, and ensures all lines of business are in compliance with government regulations and accounting best practices.
- Masterful financial analyst, who frequently leverages our financial statements and performs deep and insightful analysis to propose and inform key company decisions.
- Mentors Finance Team, Executive Team, and others to more deeply understand the impact of our numbers and how to leverage them to improve performance throughout the company.
By virtue of your position, you will make a significant impact on the growth and future of our company, and on each one of the Tribe Members who learn and grow as a result of working alongside you. We have big plans and are scaling quickly, so advancement is guaranteed if you’re accountable, produce results, and are committed to learning.
But before you get all excited and start applying, understand one very important thing:
This job is no joke.
Our CEO often says, “Know your numbers, know your business,” and we all view Finance as the lifeblood of our company. You are expected to deeply know your stuff and be able to teach all of us more than a thing or two about our own business. Expect to work hard and get results. This role is NOT for someone who wants to "play start-up" or who still has quite a bit to learn in the world of Finance and Financial Analysis. This role is for a motivated and experienced person looking for an incredible opportunity to make an even greater impact.
If that describes you, come and get it.
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book.
The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible so that as many people as possible can do it.
We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional).
And if you can't afford our services, that's fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it's called Scribe Book School, and it's better than any paid course on the internet.
You can see some press about us here.
And you can see some of the books we've already published here.
Why our work matters
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people--smart people who should write a book, but don’t, because the process is so painful.
These people want to write books but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that's why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world.
Our process has worked for over 1500 authors in six years, and we’re growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book.
If we do that, we'll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That's really exciting to us.
To see what we mean, here are some author success stories and videos of authors talking about what their books mean to them, and to their readers.
But if you really want to see why we do this...just watch this video of an author we worked with, Philip McKernan.
What's it like being part of the Scribe Tribe?
We're not going to try to pitch you a load of corporate doublespeak bullshit about how great we are. Instead, we’ll just show you proof.
These are all real tribe members, speaking openly and honestly about all aspects of what it's like to be part of this tribe:
The 5 Things Applicants Need to Know
Who Should Not Work At Scribe?
What’s It Like To Work At Scribe?
You can also watch The Power of Vulnerability at Work, for an excellent glimpse into how much we care about each other as people, and how we approach our relationships.
You can see a bunch more videos here, on our YouTube Channel.
This is the operating system for our tribe: The Scribe Culture Bible.
We are consistently ranked the #1 Best Place To Work in Austin.
Also, Entrepreneur Magazine said we have the #1 company culture in America.
You In? Awesome, here's the details:
Type of Employment
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this career.
- Exceptional relevant experience: We have many roles for folks newer in their careers who are looking to learn and grow. This is NOT one of them. We are not tied to traditional academic and career paths (see our CEO’s story as an example), but we do expect that you have 7+ years of progressive responsibility leading Finance and Accounting teams in a fast-paced, high-throughput environment. Past M&A experience and supporting multiple lines of business is a major plus.
- Numbers, Numbers, Numbers: Love ‘em or hate ‘em, they’re the heart of everything we do as a business (and, you should definitely love them if you’re applying to this role). The idea of a day spent leading our CEO through projections of the bank balance 3 years from now across various scenarios genuinely excites you. You must have a strong ability and desire to work with mathematical concepts, such as discounted cash flow analysis, statistics, probabilities, algebraic expressions, etc.
- You See Around Corners: Analyzing financials to predict the future is your superpower. You are able to leverage data, dashboards, trends, and instincts to draw valid conclusions and inform strategic decisions for our company. You’re also able to mentor others to cultivate this skill set themselves.
- You’re Obsessed with Organization and have Impeccable Attention to Detail: You must be the type of person who can’t stand for things to be out of order, especially when it comes to numbers. We’re a fast-moving startup (6 years old), and especially as we expand to multiple lines of business, a big part of your role is to bring order to the chaos, at least in terms of our finances and accounting. If you geek out over spreadsheets, income statements, and saving money, that’s a great sign. Impeccable attention to detail is so critical to this role, on the application when it asks “what is your favorite animal” we want you to write “attention to detail is my middle name.”
- Excellent Communicator: You are masterful at summarizing complex topics into simple, understandable, and easy-to-follow presentation materials, both in speaking and writing. You are engaging and clear when delivering presentations, and are energized by fielding unexpected questions. You are proactive in sharing updates and masterful in coaching and teaching others.
- You’re At Home With Technology: We’re a progressive company and heavily leverage tech to streamline our workflows. You must already be proficient with the usual (ie. Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Google Suite, etc), and past experience with online accounting platforms (we use Xero), dashboard and BI tools (we use Mode and SQL), project management tools (we use ClickUp), automation (we use Zapier), and other industry-leading web apps is a very good thing.
- You Are Self-Motivated And Get Shit Done: We don't want people who have to be constantly managed. If you only work well with someone telling you what to do--DO NOT APPLY. You must be very self-motivated. There are no lifestyle roles here, and no easy days. We all work very hard every day, because we care about our mission, and what we do matters to us and other people.
NOTE: Hard work does not mean endless hours. It only means accountability. If you don't want to work hard and get results, this is not the right company for you. There is no coasting and no hiding here and you will be held accountable for achieving real results. If that doesn't excite you, this is the wrong tribe for you.
- Optimism: We believe that optimism is a superpower. If you have a great attitude, strong resilience, and your default state is in a good mood, that is a skill.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Pay: $125,000 - $135,000
- Full Benefits Package: We don’t spend our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs. We spend our money on things that matter to our tribe--like a full slate of benefits that would rival any Fortune 50 company.
- We fully cover your medical, dental, and vision insurance—starting on day 1.
- We offer up to $1,500 in educational assistance to continue your learning.
- We have six weeks of paid time off, including holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
- If anything awful were to happen to you, we provide life insurance and short- and long-term disability.
- Scribe’s success is directly related to the Results of the Tribe. That’s why every time Scribe achieves our revenue and profit margin goals, all Tribe Members are eligible to earn a Results-Based Bonus. Even better, the payout increases in direct correlation with our success--the more we exceed our goals as a Tribe, the larger the portion of those earnings we receive.
- We have Work with your dog Wednesdays! AKA: Woofdays!
- Plus, we eat a free lunch together in the office on Fridays!
- Be Part Of A Tribe: You (should) have seen the videos above. We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
- Freedom & Flex Work: While you’ll need to be based in Austin, we offer a flexible work environment. You can work from home, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours--we don't care. You can wear a three-piece suit (like our CEO) or gym clothes (like our founders) or anything else--we don't care. We only care that you do your job well. And we have lots of paid time off each year because we believe that rest and recovery are just as important as work. But, again, this is not a remote position.
- Make A Real Impact: We’re a small tribe (just about 65 full time) and you will be a major part of our team. Not only that, you won't just impact the company, you'll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think--and you'll be helping to make them a reality.
- Work With Interesting People: You're not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books that change lives.
Want to see more? Check out the Scribe Careers page of our website.
At Scribe, we don’t just accept differences — we support them, celebrate them, and as a company, we thrive on them. Scribe is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we actively look for and hire people who bring new perspectives and experiences to our tribe.
Everyone has a story to share. Our CEO, JeVon “JT McCormick”, is just one Tribe Member example.
Ready to apply?
Complete the application by clicking on the "Apply To Position" button. Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
You can expect to hear back from us either way within 15 business days. Be sure to keep an eye on your spam and promotions boxes in case our emails end up there! To make sure we're able to give your application the careful attention and time it deserves, please do not follow up with us unless you don't hear back from us by then.
Please, no phone calls. Due to the number of applicants we typically receive for our career openings, we are not able to do phone interviews until later stages of the hiring process. All applicants must submit an application through our portal.
Note: If you're on an external job site, we encourage you to apply directly from our career portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/
We're only considering candidates that are authorized to work in the United States and we will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Bonus: If you aren't right for this career, but you know the perfect person, send them this career description.
If we hire them, we'll give you a 5k bonus.
Totally serious--every person we hire, we ask them who referred them to us, and we pay the bonus to the referrer. That could be you if you share this career ad with a friend who's perfect for it.