Client Success Manager
Do you enjoy helping people get attention for their ideas and pursue their goals?
Do you like helping people define success and devising, and revising, plans to see it through?
Are you tired of the smoke and mirrors of traditional client relationship dynamics and want to feel a deep connection with trusted partners?
If this sounds like you, we've got your perfect job.
This is the perfect job for someone who has experience in the creative services world, but is tired of the same old thing and really wants to take the next step in their career.
We call this role Client Success Manager because "combination client relations, marketing, customer experience, and project management” won’t fit in the listing’s headline.
The core responsibility for this role is to work with authors to create a successful launch plan for their books. The role basically breaks down to these two tasks:
Work With Authors
You’ll be working primarily with authors in our book launch process (described below). These are smart people with great ideas and well written, topical books that have a clear, compelling value proposition.
Most importantly, you will be the main point of contact for authors throughout the entire book launch process. You are their sherpa that takes them from beginning to end, you're the one who will build the relationship with them, and you are the one they will celebrate with when their book does well.
Lead Your Team
You’ll be plugging into a team with specialized capabilities to deliver the highest quality results for our authors. Your job will be to oversee the pieces, and connect with the right team members to ensure the best possible experience for our authors.
We expect that you already have a track record of successful relationship management, but you’ll also get book-specific training (if you need it) directly from world class writers, publishers and book marketers (like Tucker Max and Charlie Hoehn). And you're going to have a whole company and army of freelancers to support you.
If you can nail that, you're probably pretty awesome, which brings us to an important question:
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book.
The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possible can do it.
We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional).
And if you can't afford our services, that's fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it's called Scribe Book School, and it's better than any paid course on the internet.
You can see some press about us here.
And you can see some of the books we've already published here.
Why our work matters
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people--smart people who should write a book, but don’t, because the process is so painful.
These people want to write books, but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that's why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world.
Our process has worked for over 1500 authors in six years, and we’re growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book.
If we do that, we'll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That's really exciting to us.
To see what we mean, here are some author success stories and videos of authors talking about what their books mean to them, and to their readers.
But if you really want to see why we do this...just watch this video of an author we worked with, Philip McKernan.
What's it like being part of the Scribe Tribe?
We're not going to try to pitch you a load of corporate doublespeak bullshit about how great we are. Instead, we’ll just show you proof.
These are all real tribe members, speaking openly and honestly about all aspects of what it's like to be part of this tribe:
The 5 Things Applicants Need to Know
Who Should Not Work At Scribe?
What’s It Like To Work At Scribe?
You can also watch The Power of Vulnerability at Work, for an excellent glimpse into how much we care about each other as people, and how we approach our relationships.
You can see a bunch more videos here, on our YouTube Channel.
This is the operating system for our tribe: The Scribe Culture Bible.
We are consistently ranked the #1 Best Place To Work in Austin.
Also, Entrepreneur Magazine said we have the #1 company culture in America.
You In? Awesome, here's the details:
Type of Employment
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this career.
- Relationship Management: This job will require you to work with a lot of different types of authors, clearly set expectations with them, and get them to do the work they have to do—even if they are resistant, or want to do it a different way. You’ll need to have exceptional social intelligence. Sometimes you will need to have hard conversations with them, and even set limits with people who are not used to hearing "no"—but do it in a way that doesn't upset them or derail the project. It takes real social intelligence to navigate these situations.
- Project Management: You’ve had some experience “owning” projects and processes, and you love it. In this role, you will be responsible for setting strategy and ensuring that you and a small team of Tribe members and freelancers execute for the best possible outcome. This entails envisioning how the project is structured, understanding who the stakeholders are, and assigning appropriate tasks and deadlines to work within project parameters.
- Strategic and Critical Thinking: Ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, embrace the unknown, and adapt to a quickly changing environment without losing the thread on project goals. You know how to launch, analyze and iterate campaigns based on performance. You set clear expectations for yourself and others for successful outcomes and you can easily assess and pivot to meet those expectations.
- Small Team Leadership Experience a Plus: Experience in managing fast-growth teams and proven natural leadership skills are definitely a plus! You will be responsible for sharing your vision and collaborating with a small team of highly skilled marketers, writers, researchers, and designers.
- Metrics driven: You get excited by extracting actionable learnings from campaign data, managing pipeline spreadsheets and tools, and identifying insights from numbers to continuously improve execution.
- Public Relations & Marketing Campaign Creation and Management: Your past experience demonstrates that you are clearly interested in marketing or public relations--it’s coursework, an internship, your current or previous job. You need to approach this role with passion. Bonus points if you can teach us a few things. Extra bonus if you have experience in creative direction and brand management.
- You Are Self-Motivated And Get Shit Done: We don't want people who have to be constantly managed. If you only work well with someone telling you what to do--DO NOT APPLY. You must be very self-motivated. There are no lifestyle roles here, and no easy days. We all work very hard every day, because we care about our mission, and what we do matters to us and other people.
NOTE: Hard work does not mean endless hours. It only means accountability. If you don't want to work hard and get results, this is not the right company for you. There is no coasting and no hiding here and you will be held accountable for achieving real results. If that doesn't excite you, this is the wrong tribe for you.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Pay: $70,000
- Full Benefits Package: We don’t spend our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs. We spend our money on things that matter to our tribe--like a full slate of benefits that would rival any Fortune 50 company.
- We fully cover your medical, dental, and vision insurance—starting on day 1.
- We offer up to $1,500 in educational assistance to continue your learning.
- We have six weeks of paid time off, including holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
- If anything awful were to happen to you, we provide life insurance and short- and long-term disability.
- Scribe’s success is directly related to the Results of the Tribe. That’s why every time Scribe achieves our revenue and profit margin goals, all Tribe Members are eligible to earn a Results-Based Bonus. Even better, the payout increases in direct correlation with our success--the more we exceed our goals as a Tribe, the larger the portion of those earnings we receive.
- Free Book Benefit: Take part in Scribe’s Guided Author or Memoir Workshops from Day-1. After 18-months, get the full Guided Author, Publishing, or One Last Book Package. You’ll also have free access to the entire Scribe library.
- We have Work with Your Dog Wednesdays! AKA: Woofdays!
- Plus, we eat a free lunch together in the office on Fridays!
- Be Part Of A Tribe: You (should) have seen the videos above. We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
- Freedom & Flex Work: While you’ll need to be based in Austin, we offer a flexible work environment. You can work from home, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours--we don't care. You can wear a three-piece suit (like our CEO) or gym clothes (like our founders) or anything else--we don't care. We only care that you do your job well. And we have lots of paid time off each year because we believe that rest and recovery are just as important as work. But, again, this is not a remote position.
- Make A Real Impact: We’re a small tribe (just about 80 full time) and you will be a major part of our team. Not only that, you won't just impact the company, you'll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think--and you'll be helping to make them a reality.
- Work With Interesting People: You're not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books that change lives.
- Want to see more? Check out the Scribe Careers page of our website.
At Scribe, we don’t just accept differences — we support them, celebrate them, and as a company, we thrive on them. Scribe is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we actively look for and hire people who bring new perspectives and experiences to our tribe.
Everyone has a story to share. Our CEO, JeVon “JT McCormick”, is just one Tribe Member example.
Ready to apply?
Complete the application by clicking on the "Apply To Position" button. Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
You can expect to hear back from us either way within 15 business days. Be sure to keep an eye on your spam and promotions boxes in case our emails end up there! To make sure we're able to give your application the careful attention and time it deserves, please do not follow up with us unless you don't hear back from us by then.
Please, no phone calls. Due to the number of applicants we typically receive for our career openings, we are not able to do phone interviews until the later stages of the hiring process. All applicants must submit an application through our portal.
Note: If you're on an external job site, we encourage you to apply directly from our career portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/
We're only considering candidates located in the United States, and that are authorized to work in the United States. We will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Bonus: If you aren't right for this career, but you know the perfect person, send them this career description.
If we hire them, we'll give you a 2k bonus.
Totally serious--every person we hire, we ask them who referred them to us, and we pay the bonus to the referrer. That could be you if you share this career ad with a friend who's perfect for it.