Public Relations Specialist
Do you celebrate when you land a stellar headline that bridges your clients’ ideas with their intended audience?
Are you sick of the cutthroat, soul-crushing BS you’ve had to deal with at PR agencies?
Is your service so exceptional that your clients trust you, even if something goes wrong?
If this sounds like you, we've got your perfect career.
This is the perfect role for someone who has experience in the PR and marketing world, and is tired of the same old thing. We call this role “Author Marketing Manager" because our clients are our Authors. It's listed as “Public Relations Specialist” because "PR, client collaborator, marketing, storytelling, and strategic genius” won’t fit in the listing’s headline.
The core responsibility for this role is to work with authors to create and execute successful marketing and PR launch plans for their books.
Here’s how it works:
- You’re the marketing and PR expert for authors ready to publish their books, and you’ll be their point of contact through their entire launch experience.
- You’ll build an appropriate marketing and media strategy to launch an author’s book into the world, based on their unique goals (can range from bringing in new clients, to landing on a huge bestseller list, to becoming a thought leader in their industry).
- You'll be responsible for pitching, securing, and coordinating needle-moving media. If you come to us with existing media relationships, all the better!
- You'll create and run other promotional opportunities as well, like submitting for book reviews and awards, running book giveaways, and coordinating email campaigns.
- You’ll drive forward anything else that comes up on a day-to-day basis, too, like questions from authors about lead magnets, when they should post news on social, or how to land an interview with Oprah, for example.
We expect that you already have the skills needed to succeed in PR, but you’ll also get book-specific training (if you need it). And you're going to have a whole army of freelancers to support you.
If you can nail that, you're probably pretty awesome, which brings us to an important question:
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book.
The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possible can do it.
We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional).
And if you can't afford our services, that's fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it's called Scribe Book School, and it's better than any paid course on the internet.
You can see some press about us here.
And you can see some of the books we've already published here.
Why our work matters
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people--smart people who should write a book, but don’t, because the process is so painful.
These people want to write books, but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that's why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world.
Our process has worked for over 2,000 authors in seven years, and we’re growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book.
If we do that, we'll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That's really exciting to us.
To see what we mean, here are some author success stories and videos of authors talking about what their books mean to them, and to their readers.
But if you really want to see why we do this...just watch this video of an author we worked with, Philip McKernan.
What's it like being part of the Scribe Tribe?
We're not going to try to pitch you a load of corporate doublespeak bullshit about how great we are. Instead, we’ll just show you proof.
These are all real tribe members, speaking openly and honestly about all aspects of what it's like to be part of this tribe:
The 5 Things Applicants Need to Know
Who Should Not Work At Scribe?
What’s It Like To Work At Scribe?
You can also watch The Power of Vulnerability at Work, for an excellent glimpse into how much we care about each other as people, and how we approach our relationships.
You can see a bunch more videos here, on our YouTube Channel.
This is the operating system for our tribe: The Scribe Culture Bible.
We are consistently ranked the #1 Best Place To Work in Austin.
Also, Entrepreneur Magazine said we have the #1 company culture in America.
And, our President and CEO was named the #1 CEO in Austin this year.
You In? Awesome, here's the details:
Type of Employment
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this career.
- PR Experience is a Must: You know how to launch, analyze and iterate PR campaigns based on performance. You know how to write a compelling media pitch, find the right contacts for the topic, and coordinate opportunities appropriately.
- Exceptional Social Intelligence: This job will require you to work with a lot of different types of personalities, clearly set expectations with them, and get them to do the work they have to do—even if they are resistant, or want to do it a different way. You’ll need to have exceptional social intelligence. Sometimes you will need to have hard conversations with them, and even set limits with people who are not used to hearing "no"—but do it in a way that doesn't upset them or derail the project. It takes real social intelligence to navigate these situations.
- You Are Self-Motivated and Very Good at Getting Things Done: This is an absolute must. You must be the definition of a doer and very self-motivated. You thrive when you can manage yourself and your workload without someone looking over your shoulder.
NOTE: Hard work does not mean endless hours. It only means accountability. There is no coasting and no hiding here. If the idea of being held accountable to achieve real results excites you, this is the right tribe for you!
- Strategic and Critical Thinking: Ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, embrace the unknown, and adapt to a quickly changing environment without losing the thread on project goals. You set clear expectations for yourself and others for successful outcomes, and you can easily assess and pivot to meet those expectations.
- Do Right by People: Our #1 value is People. You must be a person that deeply cares about people above all else, and finds genuine fulfillment and purpose in serving others.
- Excellent Communicator: You are masterful at summarizing complex topics into simple, understandable, and easy-to-follow materials, both in speaking and writing. You are engaging and clear, and are energized by fielding unexpected questions. You are proactive in sharing updates, and masterful in coaching and teaching others.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Pay: $70,000
- Full Benefits Package: We don’t spend our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs. We spend our money on things that matter to our tribe--like a full slate of benefits that would rival any Fortune 50 company.
- We fully cover your medical, dental, and vision insurance—starting on day 1.
- We offer up to $1,500 in educational assistance to continue your learning.
- We have six weeks of paid time off, including holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
- If anything awful were to happen to you, we provide life insurance and short- and long-term disability.
- Scribe’s success is directly related to the Results of the Tribe. That’s why every time Scribe achieves our revenue and profit margin goals, all Tribe Members are eligible to earn a Results-Based Bonus. Even better, the payout increases in direct correlation with our success--the more we exceed our goals as a Tribe, the larger the portion of those earnings we receive.
- Free Book Benefit: Take part in Scribe’s Guided Author or Memoir Workshops from Day-1. Scribe’s Free Book Benefit can be used once every 18 months for Scribe Publishing or Guided Author, and every 36 months for Scribe Editing. You’ll also have free access to the entire Scribe library.
- We have Work with Your Dog Wednesdays! AKA: Woofdays!
- Plus, we eat a free lunch together in the office on Fridays!
- Be Part Of A Tribe: You (should) have seen the videos above. We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
- Freedom & Flex Work: While you’ll need to be based in Austin, we offer a flexible work environment. You can work from home, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours--we don't care. You can wear a three piece suit (like our CEO) or gym clothes (like our founders) or anything else--we don't care. We only care that you do your job well. And we have lots of paid time off each year, because we believe that rest and recovery are just as important as work. But, again, this is not a remote position.
- Make A Real Impact: We’re a small tribe (just about 80 full time) and you will be a major part of our team. Not only that, you won't just impact the company, you'll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think--and you'll be helping to make them a reality.
- Work With Interesting People: You're not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books that change lives.Want to see more? Check out the Scribe Careers page of our website.
At Scribe, we don’t just accept differences — we support them, celebrate them, and as a company, we thrive on them. Scribe is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we actively look for and hire people who bring new perspectives and experiences to our tribe.
Everyone has a story to share. Our CEO, JeVon “JT McCormick”, is just one Tribe Member example.
Ready to apply?
Complete the application by clicking on the "Apply To Position" button. Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
You can expect to hear back from us either way within 15 business days. Be sure to keep an eye on your spam and promotions boxes in case our emails end up there! To make sure we're able to give your application the careful attention and time it deserves, please do not follow up with us unless you don't hear back from us by then.
Please, no phone calls. Due to the number of applicants we typically receive for our career openings, we are not able to do phone interviews until later stages of the hiring process. All applicants must submit an application through our portal.
Note: If you're on an external job site, we encourage you to apply directly from our career portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/
We're only considering candidates located in the United States, and that are authorized to work in the United States. We will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Bonus: If you aren't right for this career, but you know the perfect person, send them this career description.
If we hire them, we'll give you a $2,000 bonus.