Do you thrive on making order out of chaos?
Do your friends tease you for being a little bit OCD, especially when it comes to numbers?
Do you feel like you’re smarter than the job you’re in, and your skills are being wasted?
If this sounds like you, we've got your perfect career opportunity.
We're hiring for a Bookkeeper, but at its core, this role is about much more than just balancing our accounts (though that is certainly a part of it). In this role, you'll be immediately thrust into the heart of a rapidly scaling start up, working hand-in-hand with our Master of Coin, Director of Operations, and CEO as we launch, structure, and scale new product divisions.
Here is the list of things you'll be doing (under supervision, and with direct instruction and support of course):
- Bookkeeping, including managing separate financials for our different products
- Sending payments to freelancers and vendors
- Supporting with all A/R, including scheduling invoices, taking payments, and following up on outstanding invoices.
- Issuing refunds and reimbursements
- Sending payment to Ambassadors (people who refer clients to us)
- Depositing checks (mobile and in-person)
With direct mentorship and coaching, you’ll have the chance to apply your exceptional attention to detail and love for numbers while laying the financial foundation for a profitable business as we grow to $100MM+ in revenue.
Also, by virtue of your position, you will learn everything about how the Accounting department of a quickly scaling company functions, and have the chance to make valuable contributions each and every day.
If you can nail those responsibilities, you're probably pretty awesome, which brings us to an important question:
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book.
The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possible can do it.
We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional).
And if you can't afford our services, that's fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it's called Scribe Book School, and it's better than any paid course on the internet.
You can see some press about us here.
And you can see some of the books we've already published here.
Why our work matters
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people--smart people who should write a book, but don’t, because the process is so painful.
These people want to write books, but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that's why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world.
Our process has worked for over 1200 authors in five years, and we’re growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book.
If we do that, we'll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That's really exciting to us.
To see what we mean, here are some author success stories and videos of authors talking about what their books mean to them, and to their readers.
But if you really want to see why we do this...just watch this video of an author we worked with, Philip McKernan.
What's it like being part of Scribe Tribe?
We're not going to try to pitch you a load of corporate doublespeak bullshit about how great we are. Instead, we’ll just show you proof.
These are all real tribe members, speaking openly and honestly about all aspects of what it's like to be part of this tribe:
The 7 Things Applicants Need to Know
Who Should Not Work At Scribe?
What’s It Like To Work At Scribe?
You can also watch The Power of Vulnerability at Work, for an excellent glimpse into how much we care about each other as people, and how we approach our relationships.
You can see a bunch more videos here, on our YouTube Channel.
This is the operating system for our tribe: The Scribe Culture Bible.
We are consistently ranked the #1 Best Place To Work in Austin.
Also, Entrepreneur Magazine said we have the #1 company culture in America.
You In? Awesome, here's the details:
Type of Employment
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this job. Most importantly, we are hiring based on careful balance of relevant experience, cultural fit, and motivation:
- Numbers, Numbers, Numbers: Love ‘em or hate ‘em, they’re the heart of everything we do as a business (and, you should definitely love them if you’re applying to this role). You enjoy doing at least simple math problems in your head, and the idea of a day spent with our Master of Coin mapping out projections of the bank balance 6 months from now genuinely excites you.
- You Can Learn Quickly: You will be coached and mentored in this job as much as you need. But we do not have time to play games. If you can't understand and integrate what you are taught quickly, this is the wrong job for you. If we are answering the same exact question more than twice, this is the wrong job for you.
- You Are Detailed And Task-Oriented: You are going to be doing a lot of entry-level tasks. Many will not be cognitively difficult, but they WILL REQUIRE PRECISION. If you do not like details and organization, that's fine, we may have other places in the company for you--but not this one.
- You’re Obsessed with Organization: You must be the type of person who can’t stand for things to be out of order, especially when it comes to numbers. We’re a fast moving startup, and the goal of the Bookkeeper is to bring order to the chaos, at least in terms of our accounting. If reconciling accounts feels like a game, and you geek out over spreadsheets, income statements, and saving money, that’s a great sign.
- You’re At Home With Technology: There are no major programming skills required or anything like that, but you will be using an accounting system called Xero and a slew of automations every single day that will make your life even more enjoyable. All the specifics can be taught on the job, but you should at least feel a bit energized by the idea of leaning in to technology.
- You Are Self-Motivated And Get Shit Done: We don't want people who have to be constantly managed. If you only work well with someone telling you what to do--DO NOT APPLY. You must be very self-motivated. There are no lifestyle roles here, and no easy days. We all work very hard every day, because we care about our mission, and what we do matters to us and other people.
NOTE: Hard work does not mean endless hours. It only means accountability. If you don't want to work hard and get results, this is not the right company for you. There is no coasting and no hiding here and you will be held accountable for achieving real results. If that doesn't excite you, this is the wrong tribe for you.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Pay: $50k
NOTE: The salary is not all you will make. All tribe members are entitled to discretionary profit sharing. When we say "profit sharing" we don't mean the BS "here's a tiny piece of equity that might be worth something in 10 years." We're already a profitable company, and 25% of the company profit goes to the Tribe. So every time we take profit distribution, you get a share of those actual profits.
- Full Benefits Package: We don’t spend our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs. We spend our money on things that matter to our tribe--like a full slate of benefits that would rival any Fortune 50 company.
- We fully cover your medical, dental, and vision insurance—starting on day 1.
- We offer up to $1,500 in educational assistance to continue your learning.
- We have six weeks of paid time off, including holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
- If anything awful were to happen to you, we provide life insurance and short- and long-term disability.
- Plus, we eat a free lunch together in the office on Fridays!
- Be Part Of A Tribe: You (should) have seen the videos above. We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
- Freedom & Flex Work: You can work from home, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours--we don't care. You can wear a three piece suit (like our CEO) or gym clothes (like our founders) or anything else--we don't care. We only care that you do your job well. And we have lots of paid time off each year, because we believe that rest and recovery are just as important as work.
- Make A Real Impact: We’re a small tribe (still under 50 full time) and you will be a major part of our team. Not only that, you won't just impact the company, you'll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think--and you'll be helping to make them a reality.
- Work With Interesting People: You're not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books that change lives.
At Scribe, we don’t just accept differences — we support them, celebrate them, and as a company, we thrive on them. Scribe is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we actively look for and hire people who bring new perspectives and experiences to our tribe.
Ready to apply?
Complete the application by clicking on the "Apply To Position" button. Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
You can expect to hear back from us either way within 2 weeks. To make sure we're able to give your application the careful attention and time it deserves, please do not follow up with us unless you don't hear back from us by then.
Note: If you're on an external job site, we encourage you to apply directly from our career portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/
Bonus: If you aren't right for this career, but you know the perfect person, send them this career description.
If we hire them, we'll give you a 5k bonus.
Totally serious--every person we hire, we ask them who referred them to us, and we pay the bonus to the referrer. That could be you if you share this career ad with a friend who's perfect for it.