Do you love being the one people can rely on when they want results?
Do you love reading the news, scrolling Twitter, and talking about current events?
When you watch a movie, are you the friend who's researching where you've seen the actors before?
If this sounds like you, we've got your perfect career.
This is the right fit for someone interested in PR, marketing, and book publishing. We’re looking for someone investigative and independent, who LOVES research projects and creative brainstorming, and who doesn't want to have to run errands at an agency in exchange for learning the ropes.
In the Media Coordinator role, you’ll help us execute successful marketing plans for our authors' books. You'll work closely with our Author Marketing Managers to implement project strategy, secure media attention, and bring our authors' ideas to the world.
The role basically breaks down like this:
- You'll help create and run promotional opportunities for our authors, like submitting for book reviews, creating book giveaways, and coordinating email newsletter campaigns.
- You’ll be responsible for researching appropriate media contacts for each author project, writing kickass pitches to pique media interest, and coordinating the media opportunities you secure directly with authors.
- You’ll experience an equal mix of independent work time where you’re responsible for proactively managing your own tasks, and collaborative time with Scribe’s whole Launch & PR team.
In a way, you’ll be the Robin to the Author Marketing Manager’s Batman. You’re not responsible for creating strategy, but your skills and problem solving powers help drive the kinds of results our authors sign up for.
This is NOT for someone who wants to execute the same cookie-cutter service over and over. This role is for a motivated person looking for an incredible opportunity to use their drive to learn invaluable skills and advance quickly.
If that describes you, come get it.
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book.
The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possible can do it.
We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional).
And if you can't afford our services, that's fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it's called Scribe Book School, and it's better than any paid course on the internet.
You can see some press about us here.
And you can see some of the books we've already published here.
Why our work matters
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people--smart people who should write a book, but don’t, because the process is so painful.
These people want to write books, but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that's why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world.
Our process has worked for over 2,000 authors in seven years, and we’re growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book.
If we do that, we'll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That's really exciting to us.
To see what we mean, here are some author success stories and videos of authors talking about what their books mean to them, and to their readers.
But if you really want to see why we do this...just watch this video of an author we worked with, Philip McKernan.
What's it like being part of the Scribe Tribe?
We're not going to try to pitch you a load of corporate doublespeak bullshit about how great we are. Instead, we’ll just show you proof.
These are all real tribe members, speaking openly and honestly about all aspects of what it's like to be part of this tribe:
The 5 Things Applicants Need to Know
Who Should Not Work At Scribe?
What’s It Like To Work At Scribe?
You can also watch The Power of Vulnerability at Work, for an excellent glimpse into how much we care about each other as people, and how we approach our relationships.
You can see a bunch more videos here, on our YouTube Channel.
This is the operating system for our tribe: The Scribe Culture Bible.
We are consistently ranked the #1 Best Place To Work in Austin.
Also, Entrepreneur Magazine said we have the #1 company culture in America.
And, our President and CEO was named the #1 CEO in Austin this year.
You In? Awesome, here's the details:
Type of Employment
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this career.
- You Are Organized & Task-Oriented: This is not a job for someone that is sloppy with details. You are an expert at juggling multiple projects at once, and you're able to get things done and keep up with your projects.
- Problem Solver: We expect you to be self-sufficient; if you do end up stumped on something, you should feel comfortable Googling it and teaching yourself. You’ll also need to be capable of rolling with the punches and course-correcting if things go wrong.
- Optimistic & Positive: We believe that optimism and positivity are super powers. If you have a great attitude and your default state is in a good mood, that is a skill.
- Strategic and Critical Thinking: Ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, embrace the unknown, and adapt to a quickly changing environment without losing the thread on project goals. If a media pitch is not getting the results you wanted, you take it upon yourself to go back to your research and start over. You set clear expectations for yourself and you can easily assess and pivot to meet those expectations.
- Courageously and Warmly Curious: You deeply enjoy getting to know more about people! When you’re getting to know someone you’re warm, inviting, and make the other person feel comfortable just by being in your presence. You want to know how everything works. You’re not afraid to challenge the status quo. And when you’re learning a new skill, you aren’t afraid to ask questions to really know it and get it right the first time.
- Excellent Communicator: You are masterful at summarizing complex topics, both in speaking and writing. You are engaging and clear when communicating, are energized by fielding unexpected questions, and are proactive in sharing updates.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Pay: $50,000
- Full Benefits Package: We don’t spend our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs. We spend our money on things that matter to our tribe--like a full slate of benefits that would rival any Fortune 50 company.
- We fully cover your medical, dental, and vision insurance—starting on day 1.
- We offer up to $1,500 in educational assistance to continue your learning.
- We have six weeks of paid time off, including holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
- If anything awful were to happen to you, we provide life insurance and short- and long-term disability.
- Scribe’s success is directly related to the Results of the Tribe. That’s why every time Scribe achieves our revenue and profit margin goals, all Tribe Members are eligible to earn a Results-Based Bonus. Even better, the payout increases in direct correlation with our success--the more we exceed our goals as a Tribe, the larger the portion of those earnings we receive.
- Free Book Benefit: Take part in Scribe’s Guided Author or Memoir Workshops from Day-1. Scribe’s Free Book Benefit can be used once every 18 months for Scribe Publishing or Guided Author, and every 36 months for Scribe Editing. You’ll also have free access to the entire Scribe library.
- We have Work with Your Dog Wednesdays! AKA: Woofdays!
- Plus, we eat a free lunch together in the office on Fridays!
- Be Part Of A Tribe: You (should) have seen the videos above. We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
- Freedom & Flex Work: While you’ll need to be based in Austin, we offer a flexible work environment. You can work from home, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours--we don't care. You can wear a three piece suit (like our CEO) or gym clothes (like our founders) or anything else--we don't care. We only care that you do your job well. And we have lots of paid time off each year, because we believe that rest and recovery are just as important as work. But, again, this is not a remote position.
- Make A Real Impact: We’re a small tribe (just about 80 full time) and you will be a major part of our team. Not only that, you won't just impact the company, you'll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think--and you'll be helping to make them a reality.
- Work With Interesting People: You're not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books that change lives.
- Want to see more? Check out the Scribe Careers page of our website.
Ready to apply?
Complete the application by clicking on the "Apply To Position" button. Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
You can expect to hear back from us either way within 15 business days. Be sure to keep an eye on your spam and promotions boxes in case our emails end up there! To make sure we're able to give your application the careful attention and time it deserves, please do not follow up with us unless you don't hear back from us by then.
Please, no phone calls. Due to the number of applicants we typically receive for our career openings, we are not able to do phone interviews until later stages of the hiring process. All applicants must submit an application through our portal.
Note: If you're on an external job site, we encourage you to apply directly from our career portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/
We're only considering candidates located in the United States, and that are authorized to work in the United States. We will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Bonus: If you aren't right for this career, but you know the perfect person, send them this career description.
If we hire them, we'll give you a $2,000 bonus.
Totally serious--every person we hire, we ask them who referred them to us, and we pay the bonus to the referrer. That could be you if you share this career ad with a friend who's perfect for it.