Finance Operations Coordinator
Do you love being the one people can rely on when they need results?
Do you derive a particular satisfaction from creating lists, streamlining and automating processes, and working with numbers and spreadsheets?
Do you believe the devil is in the details and strive to work impeccably?
Are you looking for a unique opportunity to grow your expertise in all things finance operations?
If this sounds like you, we've got your perfect career.
If you have a proven history of increasing responsibilities and improving processes everywhere you go and are now confident enough to pursue better pay, stronger culture, and a clearer path to growth--this is the role for you.
If we already captured your attention and this sounds like your dream role, we expect you to read the entire career description before you apply!
The Finance Operations Coordinator reports to the Finance Operations Manager and will be responsible for supporting the overall success of the Finance department through a wide variety of tasks including:
- Assisting with implementation of process improvements and crucial department initiatives like job costing, an expense management system, and migration of finance processes into ClickUp (our project management tool)
- Ensuring all Finance Processes and Tech tools are as efficient and effective as possible by creating and maintaining automations, streamlining task lists, creating stronger integrations between systems, and removing friction and inefficiency between departments
- Creating and maintaining process knowledge documentation
- Providing General Finance Support such as:
- Accounts Payable - entering freelancer and vendor bills and responding to any questions related to AP
- Organizing our financial documents
- Maintaining email templates and financial information across systems
- Assisting with annual 1099 requests and filings
With direct mentorship and coaching, you’ll have the chance to apply your exceptional attention to detail and love for numbers and technology while laying the financial foundation for a profitable business as we grow to $100MM+ in revenue.
By virtue of your position, you will learn everything about how the Financial Operations of a quickly scaling company functions, and have the chance to make valuable contributions each and every day. We have big plans and are scaling quickly, so advancement is guaranteed if you’re accountable, produce results, and are committed to learning.
But before you get all excited and start applying, understand one very important thing:
This job is no joke.
Expect to work hard and get results. This is NOT for someone who wants to "play start-up." This role is for a motivated person looking for an incredible opportunity to use their drive to learn invaluable skills and advance quickly.
If that describes you, come get it.
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book.
The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possible can do it.
We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional).
And if you can't afford our services, that's fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it's called Scribe Book School, and it's better than any paid course on the internet.
You can see some press about us here.
And you can see some of the books we've already published here.
Why our work matters
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people--smart people who should write a book, but don’t, because the process is so painful.
These people want to write books, but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that's why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world.
Our process has worked for over 1500 authors in six years, and we’re growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book.
If we do that, we'll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That's really exciting to us.
To see what we mean, here are some author success stories and videos of authors talking about what their books mean to them, and to their readers.
But if you really want to see why we do this...just watch this video of an author we worked with, Philip McKernan.
What's it like being part of the Scribe Tribe?
We're not going to try to pitch you a load of corporate doublespeak bullshit about how great we are. Instead, we’ll just show you proof.
These are all real tribe members, speaking openly and honestly about all aspects of what it's like to be part of this tribe:
The 5 Things Applicants Need to Know
Who Should Not Work At Scribe?
What’s It Like To Work At Scribe?
You can also watch The Power of Vulnerability at Work, for an excellent glimpse into how much we care about each other as people, and how we approach our relationships.
You can see a bunch more videos here, on our YouTube Channel.
This is the operating system for our tribe: The Scribe Culture Bible.
We are consistently ranked the #1 Best Place To Work in Austin.
Also, Entrepreneur Magazine said we have the #1 company culture in America.
You In? Awesome, here are the details:
Type of Employment
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this career.
- Numbers, Numbers, Numbers: Love ‘em or hate ‘em, they’re the heart of everything we do as a business (and, you should definitely love them if you’re applying to this role). You enjoy doing at least simple math problems and the idea of a day spent working with financial data genuinely excites you.
- You Are Detailed And Task-Oriented: You are going to be doing a lot of entry-level tasks. Many will not be cognitively difficult, but they will require precision. In fact, impeccable attention to detail is so important for this role, on the application when it asks “what is your favorite animal” we want you to write “attention to detail is my middle name”. Seriously. We can not stress this enough.
- You’re Obsessed with Organization: You must be the type of person who can’t stand for things to be out of order, especially when it comes to numbers. We’re a fast moving startup, and the goal of the Finance Operations Coordinator is to bring order to the chaos, at least in terms of our financial data and processes.
- Prioritize and Manage Time Effectively: You’re doing a little bit of everything in this role, which is excellent for learning how it all works! However, if you want to succeed, you’ll need to prioritize and manage your time well.
- You’re At Home With Technology: There are no major programming skills required, but you will be using our accounting system and a slew of automations and tech tools every single day that will make your life even more enjoyable. If you are a learner, you’ll have no problems learning the specifics, but you should have a solid understanding of Excel and have at least a year of experience working with an accounting system. If you geek out over using technology to increase productivity and save money, that’s a great sign.
- Enthusiastic Learner: You want to know how everything works and you’re hungry to learn and grow. You’re not afraid to challenge the status quo or ask questions to really understand and get it right the first time. We will be solving new and complex problems together in this role which often means we need to teach ourselves new skills by conducting research or connecting with outside experts in order to drive forward our results. The idea of learning new things with a large degree of autonomy should absolutely thrill you, rather than terrify you.
- Optimism: We believe that optimism is a super power. If you have a great attitude, strong resilience, and your default state is in a good mood, that is a skill.
- You Are Self-Motivated And Get Shit Done: We don't want people who have to be constantly managed. If you only work well with someone telling you what to do--DO NOT APPLY. You must be very self-motivated. We all work hard every day, because we care about our mission, and what we do matters to us and other people.
NOTE: Hard work does not mean endless hours. It only means accountability. There are no lifestyle roles here and you will be held accountable for achieving real results. If that excites you, this is the right Tribe for you!
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Pay: $50k
- Full Benefits Package: We don’t spend our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs. We spend our money on things that matter to our tribe--like a full slate of benefits that would rival any Fortune 50 company.
- We fully cover your medical, dental, and vision insurance—starting on day 1.
- We offer up to $1,500 in educational assistance to continue your learning.
- We have six weeks of paid time off, including holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
- If anything awful were to happen to you, we provide life insurance and short- and long-term disability.
- Scribe’s success is directly related to the Results of the Tribe. That’s why every time Scribe achieves our revenue and profit margin goals, all Tribe Members are eligible to earn a Results-Based Bonus. Even better, the payout increases in direct correlation with our success--the more we exceed our goals as a Tribe, the larger the portion of those earnings we receive.
- Free Book Benefit: Take part in Scribe’s Guided Author or Memoir Workshops from Day-1. Scribe’s Free Book Benefit can now be used once every 18 months for Scribe Publishing or Guided Author, and every 36 months for Scribe Editing. You’ll also have free access to the entire Scribe library.
- We have Work with Your Dog Wednesdays! AKA: Woofdays!
- Plus, we eat a free lunch together in the office on Fridays! Want to see more? Check out the Scribe Careers page of our website.
- Be Part Of A Tribe: You (should) have seen the videos above. We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
- Freedom & Flex Work: While you’ll need to be based in Austin, we offer a flexible work environment. You can work from home, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours--we don't care. You can wear a three piece suit (like our CEO) or gym clothes (like our founders) or anything else--we don't care. We only care that you do your job well. And we have lots of paid time off each year, because we believe that rest and recovery are just as important as work. But, again, this is not a remote position.
- Make A Real Impact: We’re a small tribe (just about 80 full time) and you will be a major part of our team. Not only that, you won't just impact the company, you'll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think--and you'll be helping to make them a reality.
- Work With Interesting People: You're not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books that change lives.
- Want to see more? Check out the Scribe Careers page of our website.
At Scribe, we don’t just accept differences — we support them, celebrate them, and as a company, we thrive on them. Scribe is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we actively look for and hire people who bring new perspectives and experiences to our tribe.
Everyone has a story to share. Our CEO, JeVon “JT McCormick”, is just one Tribe Member example.
Ready to apply?
Complete the application by clicking on the "Apply To Position" button. Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
You can expect to hear back from us either way within 15 business days. Be sure to keep an eye on your spam and promotions boxes in case our emails end up there! To make sure we're able to give your application the careful attention and time it deserves, please do not follow up with us unless you don't hear back from us by then.
Please, no phone calls. Due to the number of applicants we typically receive for our career openings, we are not able to do phone interviews until later stages of the hiring process. All applicants must submit an application through our portal.
Note: If you're on an external job site, we encourage you to apply directly from our career portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/
We're only considering candidates located in the United States, and that are authorized to work in the United States. We will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Bonus: If you aren't right for this career, but you know the perfect person, send them this career description.
If we hire them, we'll give you a 2k bonus.
Totally serious--every person we hire, we ask them who referred them to us, and we pay the bonus to the referrer. That could be you if you share this career ad with a friend who's perfect for it.