Are you driven by the need to get things done?
Do you love working with brilliant people to move big projects to completion?
Have you always wanted to work with authors and books?
If this sounds like you, we've got your perfect job.
We call this role “Publishing Manager,” but the best way to think about this job is a mash-up of “Project Manager” and "Coach."
You're a Project Manager in that you're responsible for a book creation and publishing process. You'll keep track of a complicated project with lots of moving parts, and you’ll manage a publishing team of talented freelancers. In short—there is a lot going on, and you have to stay on top of it.
You're a Coach in the sense that you will be working with authors who are usually very successful, demanding, and have lots of requests for their time. You'll have to use all different types of psychology to understand them, manage your relationship with them, and help them to do things that may be hard, difficult, and that they are slightly resistant to—but ultimately must be done, and are best for them and the book.
Here’s how it works:
The moment the author signs with us, you take over. You’re their main point of contact and their leader through their book journey. You’ll help them position their book and ensure the author has a clear understanding of who their audience is and how they use their book to advance their goals (business, social, personal).
Then you'll assemble their publishing team and coordinate the entire process from both sides. You own everything, all the way to final result—which is ensuring we produce a book the author is proud of.
These are some examples of tasks you'll be doing every day:
- Communicate the right expectations to your authors so they always know what to expect and what's needed from them.
- Ensure your author’s book is always moving forward on schedule.
- Work with the publishing team to ensure all work on the book (writing, design, etc) reflects the author’s voice and intent. (You will not be writing or editing the manuscript yourself.)
- Help authors create their bios, headshots, and some ancillary marketing content.
- Help authors choose a book cover and title.
- Help authors solve any problems that come up on a day-to-day basis—questions about audiobooks, marketing, issues with cover design, print run delays, and any other problems that come up.
- Sometimes you will even have to help authors address fears or anxieties that may arise. Publishing a book is a big deal for people, and sometimes that requires some emotional help, as well as publishing help.
Basically, you're the boss of the book process. You do everything necessary to make sure the author is proud of their book when it's done, and that we get it to them on time and on budget.
And it's important to note: you'll be doing this with dozens of authors at once (who are at all different stages of the process).
If you can nail the above, you're probably pretty awesome—which brings us to an important question:
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe, and we've created a new way for people to write and publish their books.
Instead of spending years at a computer painfully typing it out themselves, then being frustrated by the confusing and arcane book publishing process, we basically take the hardest part of the work out of their hands. This allows accomplished experts to easily get their knowledge and wisdom out of their heads and into the world.
We do this with a structured interview process that walks them through the entire process—from positioning to outline to book content. But unlike ghostwriting, our interview process ensures that the book is entirely their ideas, in their words and their voice. We do not add content—we only do the annoying work to turn their ideas into a book.
This video describes our process pretty well, as does this longer explanation.
You can see some press about us here. You can see some of the impact we've had on authors in these stories.
And you can see some of the books we've already published here.
Why this work matters
Our company started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but she didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success for her, and we realized the world was full of these people—smart people who should share their ideas and knowledge in a book but don’t, because writing a book is needlessly painful and hard.
These people want to write books but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way. And that's why Scribe exists: we help experts and professionals to turn their ideas and knowledge into books that help the world.
Our process has worked for almost 1,000 authors in four years, and we are growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to be the default publishing option for professionals. If we do that, we'll help create thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people.
That's really exciting to us. Here are some videos of our authors talking about what their books mean to them and to their readers: Scribe Author Success Stories
What's it like being part of Scribe Tribe?
We're not going to try to pitch you a load of corporate doublespeak bullshit about how great we are. Instead, just watch these videos. These are all real Tribe members, speaking openly and honestly about all aspects of what it's like to be part of this Tribe:
The 7 Things Applicants Need to Know
Who Should Not Work at Scribe?
What’s It Like to Work at Scribe?
You can see a bunch more videos here, on our YouTube Channel
The Scribe Culture Doc
You in? Awesome, here are the details:
Austin, Texas. We are no longer accepting remote applicants.
Type of Employment
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this job. Most importantly, we are hiring based on careful balance of relevant experience, cultural fit, and motivation:
- You MUST BE VERY GOOD at Getting Things Done: This is an absolute must. You must be the definition of a doer. You cannot hide in this job, you cannot do things half-ass, and you won't have people picking up your slack. We will train you in all the specifics and details of course, but to apply you must have a long of history of getting things done (especially in work settings).
- You Have Good Social Intelligence: This job will require you to work with a lot of different types of authors, clearly set expectations with them, and get them to do the work they have to do—even if they are resistant, or want to do it a different way. Sometimes you will need to have hard conversations with them, and even set limits with people who are not used to hearing "no"—but do it in a way that doesn't upset them or derail the project. It takes real social intelligence to navigate these situations. You must be able to understand and relate with people no matter what they are like. Again we can train you to some extent, but you should walk in already having experience with this.
- You Are Organized and Task Oriented: This might seem redundant with "getting things done" but it's not. Some people get things done in a chaotic manner—that won't work. We have a detailed process that is very user friendly for you—but you’ll need to stay on top of a lot of stuff. You'll have a hundred to-dos every day, most very small and quickly done, but still—that's a lot. This is completely unrelated to this section, but we also want to make sure you have high attention to detail, so when the application asks for where you will live if offered this position, answer with nothing but the letter A. Back to the purpose of this section: It’s not hard as long as you’re organized and task oriented and have a basic understanding of modern technology.
- You Are Self-Motivated: We don't want people who have to be constantly managed. If you only work well with someone standing over you telling you what to do—DO NOT APPLY. You must be very self-motivated. There are no lifestyle roles here, and no easy days. We all work very hard every day, because we care about our mission, and what we do matters to us and other people. NOTE: Hard work does not mean endless hours—it only means results. If you don't want to work hard and get results, this is not the right company for you. There is no coasting and no hiding here and you will be held accountable for achieving real results, which means getting authors through the process in a way that gets them a book they are proud of. If that doesn't excite you, this is the wrong tribe for you.
- You Like Books and Reading: If you don't like books and reading and thinking about the ideas in books, this is probably a bad job for you, because you'll be doing that a lot. It is NOT necessary that you be a magician with words, but you should really enjoy writing and reading.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Pay: $60k
NOTE: The salary is not all you will make. All tribe members are entitled to profit sharing. When we say "profit sharing" we don't mean the BS "here's a tiny piece of equity that might be worth something in 10 years." We're already a profitable company, and 25% of the company profit goes to the Tribe. Every time we take profit distribution, you get a share of those actual profits.
- Access to Full Benefits: Instead of spending our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs, we give you access to complete health care coverage, dental, life insurance, 401k, and pretty much everything else you could ever want.
- We fully cover your medical, dental, and vision insurance—starting on day 1.
- We offer up to $1,500 in educational assistance to continue your learning.
- We have six weeks of paid time off, including holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
- If anything awful were to happen to you, we provide life insurance and short- and long-term disability.
- Plus, we eat a free lunch together in the office on Fridays!
- Be Part of A Tribe: You saw the videos above. We see ourselves as a tribe of people who are working hard together to accomplish a specific mission (become the default publishing option for professionals), in service of a larger purpose (create books that help the world). We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe. You should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
- Freedom: While you need to be based in Austin, Texas, you can work from home, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours—we don't care. You can wear a three-piece suit (like our CEO) or gym clothes (like our founders) or anything else—we don't care. We only care that you have reliable phone and internet connections and that you do your job well.
- Make a Real Impact: We are a small start-up (still under forty full time tribe members) and you will be a major part of our team, helping shape our growth. Not only that—you won't just impact the company, you'll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think—and you'll be helping to make them a reality.
- Fun & Fast-Paced Work: We don’t have boring days. Some are hectic, some are hard, some are incredibly rewarding...but they are never boring and never exactly the same. That's what happens when you're solving real problems for people.
- Work with Interesting People: You're not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books people read and use.
At Scribe, we don’t just accept differences — we support them, celebrate them, and as a company, we thrive on them. Scribe is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we actively look for and hire people who bring new perspectives and experiences to our tribe.
Ready to apply?
Complete the application by clicking on the "Apply To Position" button. Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
You can expect to hear back from us either way within 2 weeks. To make sure we're able to give your application the careful attention and time it deserves, please do not follow up with us unless you don't hear back from us by then.
Note: If you're on an external job site, we encourage you to apply directly from our career portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/
Bonus: If you aren't right for the career but you know the perfect person, send them this career description.
If we hire them, we'll give you a $5k bonus.
Totally serious—every person we hire, we ask them who referred them to us, and we pay the bonus to the referrer. That could be you if you share this career ad with a friend who's perfect for it.